Takkefest is Vesterheim’s harvest celebration and thank-you to the community, on Saturday, September 23.
Join the Street Party from 3:00-8:00 p.m. on Mill Street next to the museum for live music, dancing, games for all ages, folk art, Nordic-inspired cuisine, Pulpit Rock craft beers, Scandinavian treats, and more! The Street Party is free with food for sale.
The museum’s Main Building will be open with regular admission from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and there will be folk art demonstrations and special tours.
Admission will be free from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. for the gallery opening of the exhibition Rocks and Hard Places: Emigration through the Lens of Knud Knudsen, and other events in conjunction with the exhibit are scheduled.
The Museum Store will have extended hours until 8:00 p.m. or the exhibit opening from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Let’s loosen our bunads and kick up our heels, enjoying what we’ve got here in Decorah!
Nordic Dancers - Decorah’s Norwegian youth dance troop on Mill Street.
Foot-Notes - Scandinavian dance band on Mill Street.
Root River Jam - A southeastern Minnesota Americana/Bluegrass Fusion band on Mill Street.
• Food and drink, including Pulpit Rock Brewery craft beers and a variety of Nordic-inspired cuisine.
• Scandinavian sweet treats, like krumkaker and Elisabeth Koren ginger cookies, plus Hardanger lefse made fresh in the historic setting of the Valdes House.
• Beanbag games and Kubb, a Scandinavian yard game described as a combination of horseshoes and bowling.
• Hands-on activities like needlefelting, a giant coloring project, and rosemaling face painting.
• Living history pioneer chores, handcrafts, and folk art demonstrators.
Exhibition Opening Events for Rocks and Hard Places: Emigration through the lens of Knud Knudsen
Film Screening: Album - A beautiful introduction to Knudsen’s world of images, produced by the Norwegian Film Institute. At the Viking Theater on Mechanic Street.
Gallery Talk - By Zach Row-Heyveld, Vesterheim Exhibitions Manager. In the museum’s Main Building.
Special Thanks to our Sponsors!
Hi Pro Foods
Norby’s Farm & Fleet
Pulpit Rock Brewing
Sons of Norway Lodge–Valdres Lodge in Decorah
THRIVENT FINANCIAL–Jeff Olinger and Karen Trewin
Plus, thank you ArtHaus and The Puppet Project.