Associate Director of Development and Campaign Manager
Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum seeks a full-time Associate Director of Development and Campaign Manager willing to work flexible hours. S/he is responsible for administrative support for development and campaign activities. This position works with the Development Team and others to uphold best practices and a productive environment for fundraising. The position requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; strong verbal and written skills; organization; attention to detail and high-level of accuracy; demonstrated ability to manage projects and work with people; excellent time management skills; and proficiency in Microsoft Office and using fundraising/donor management software. Occasional weekend, evening work, and travel. The complete job description and benefits are listed below.
Full time with willingness to work flexible hours, as some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Director of Development
The Associate Director of Development is responsible for administrative support for the Development Office and is at the center of administrative responsibilities for the Development Team and for all campaign activities. In the role of Campaign Manager, this position is an ex officio member of the Campaign Steering Committee and is the administrative face of the campaign providing accurate, timely, and professional support to the President/CEO, Director of Development, American City Bureau (ACB) Consultant, Campaign Leadership, and volunteers. This position upholds the image of Vesterheim through efficient and professional business practices. The responsibilities of this position are considerable and require an individual who is diligent and committed to establishing a productive environment for the campaign.
Campaign Leadership Team
• Provide Campaign Leaders with strategy, input, assistance, and ideas on things that can be done to make the campaign a success.
• Help identify and recruit, if appropriate, campaign leaders and volunteers.
• Oversee the campaign budget under the supervision of the Finance Committee and Chief Financial Officer, and process routine campaign expenditure reports.
Production of Supporting Campaign Activities
• Establish locations, times, and dates of all campaign meetings and volunteer training sessions.
• Assist in the creation and distribution of information in advance of each meeting.
• Assist in the creation of agenda for each meeting and minutes of the results.
• Work directly with the Campaign Chairs in assisting campaign volunteers to properly complete “campaign asks,” including the preparation and distribution of talking points, strategies, and written proposals/request letters prior to each ask.
Management of Campaign Information
• Establish and maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality and discretion in the performance of these duties.
• Maintain reliable biographical and giving information on prospects, donors, volunteers, board members, and others involved in the campaign.
• Assist with donor research.
• Work closely with Development staff in the creation of donor proposals.
• Create and distribute a series of reports on campaign progress, including giving by donor, by constituency, by period and by volunteer, as well as general progress toward goal.
• Ensure the prompt data entry, reporting, and acknowledging of gifts and incoming correspondence, whether written or electronic.
• Maintain paper files of campaign correspondence, gift materials, and other documents in keeping with the general policies and procedures.
• Provide administrative support to the Director of Development and Major Gifts Officer(s).
• Oversee annual fund.
• Perform other related duties, as assigned, to support the work of the Vesterheim Development Team.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree of equivalent experience
• Two to three years of non-profit work experience, Development/Fundraising experience preferred, but not required
• Experience in office administration or equivalent skills
• Skills and Knowledge:
- • Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
• Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
• Proven skills and ability to manage projects and balance multiple concurrent priorities.
• Strong interpersonal skills; team-minded work style.
• Excellent time management, follow-up skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Commitment to meeting the needs of prospects, donors, volunteers, and staff.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Working knowledge of fundraising information systems/donor management software. Experience in working with Raiser’s Edge is preferred, but not required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office; familiar with word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
Review of applications begins January 10, 2020. Vesterheim is an EOE/AA. To apply, email a letter, resume, and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Diane Brondyke, Director of Development, Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum, P.O. Box 379, Decorah, IA 52101.
Find information about Vesterheim benefits here (pdf).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com