Folk Art Education Program Coordinator: Digital Learning
Website Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum
Folk Art Education Program Coordinator: Digital Learning and Outreach Initiatives
Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum seeks a full-time Folk Art Program Coordinator to support the folk art education program’s digital and outreach initiatives.
This position provides full-time (40 hours/week) support for Vesterheim’s folk-art education program. Duties include assisting the Director of Folk Art Education in a variety of tasks, managing registrations, preparing and promoting classes, and connecting with new audiences. Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in art or closely related field; high degree of comfort with technology; demonstrated knowledge of MS Office and online platforms; enjoy working with public; strong communication and writing skills; and willingness to travel and work some weekends. Note with the pandemic, that this position will begin as a remote position, with the possibility of it becoming a permanent remote position as defined within Vesterheim’s requirements.
Reports to: Director of Folk Art Education
- A Bachelor’s Degree in art, art education, education or closely related field.
- A high degree of comfort with technology and data management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom, and Google Docs
- Willingness and flexibility to work some weekends or evenings
- Enjoys working with the public
- Valid Driver’s License
Desired Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in art, art education, or education with two or more years of experience working in a museum and/or educational setting performing duties related to scheduling, coordinating, publicizing and evaluating public programs. An appreciation of Scandinavian Handcraft and/or Scandinavian History. In addition, teaching experience is a plus.
- Manage class or event registrations for digital and outreach programs. Enter all registrations, maintain the folk art school database for your programs, track wait list and communicate with those on wait list; compose and send class information, confirmations, and cancellations; and work closely with the Accounting department to track and balance class payments.
- Prepare for upcoming digital and outreach classes or events. Secure necessary information from instructors or presenters to prepare promotional materials, coordinate reservations and communication for Zoom-hosted events, Prepare class materials, collect supply lists or lists of kit contents from instructors, coordinate and prepare sending any supplies to students with Museum Store staff, prepare instructor contracts, research, secure and coordinate appropriate locations for off-site programs, create and display signage (welcome, directional, etc. when necessary), prepare and submit paperwork for paying instructors and off-site venues.
- Act as staff liaison for Vesterheim Folk Art School digital and outreach programs. Deliver welcome and orientation for instructors and students, provide overview of safety and emergency procedures (if necessary), monitor and share daily routines of classes with supervisor, and provide assistance as needed. Often classes or events are offered over weekends or evenings for increased accessibility. Coverage of weekend classes or events will be shared with the Director of Folk Art Education.
- Assist the Director of Folk Art Education with promotion and events. In conjunction with Vesterheim’s Communications & Marketing staff, develop marketing and promotional materials for Vesterheim’s Folk Art School digital learning and outreach programs, collect instructor biographies for the publication (class catalog and website), communicate any cancelled or added classes or events for website, provide support and prepare materials for all digital and off-site outreach programs.
- Assist the Director of Folk Art Education in building a robust roster of online and outreach programs for adults and youth. Help the department build new audiences through new platforms and models, while making connections to our history and collection, driven by our mission and vision whenever possible.
Skills and Competencies: In addition to the minimum qualifications, the ideal candidate should also possess the following skills and competencies:
- Possesses above average phone/video conferencing skills
- Possesses outstanding writing skills
- Able to work with social media to promote Vesterheim’s programs
- Have a level of comfortability hosting lectures or other public programs
- Able to work as part of a team with fellow staff members
- Willingness to make connections out in the field to engage new audiences
Review of applicants begins August 3. Position is open until filled. Vesterheim is an EOE/AA.
Find information about Vesterheim benefits here (pdf).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com