Handcrafted Norwegian and Norwegian-American folk art dating after 1900 to the present. Includes: rosemaling, woodcarving, weaving, needlework, knifemaking, and instruments.
Collections & Research
What is in Vesterheim's Collections?
Objects chosen or custom-made to furnish public and private places. Includes: furniture, tableware, serving wares, textiles, altar paintings, and ceremonial artifacts.
Historic Folk Art
Handcrafted Norwegian and Norwegian-American folk art dating before 1900. Includes: rosemaling, woodcarving, weaving, needlework, knifemaking, and instruments.
Tools & Tech
Objects used for specific activities, including food preparation, agriculture, industries, transportation, and sports.
Works of visual art by Norwegian immigrant and Norwegian-American artists. Includes: oil paintings, watercolor paintings, drawings, prints, and sculptures.
Buildings that exemplify or contrast Norwegian and Norwegian-American construction methods and forms. Find more information about Vesterheim’s Heritage Park on our Exhibit page.
Clothing & Accessories
Garments for everyday, special occasions, and occupational dress. Includes: folk costumes, fashionable dress, children’s clothing, Norwegian sweaters and other knit wear, and jewelry.
The library collections support the study of Norwegian-American history and culture. The archives documents the lives of Norwegian Americans, with a particular strength in historic photographs.
Vesterheim's Collecting Policy
For its collection, Vesterheim Museum considers gifts of objects, library materials, and archives materials related to Norwegian and Norwegian-American culture or history, including:
- Objects brought by Norwegian immigrants.
- Objects made or used by Norwegian immigrants in the United States.
- Other objects made or used in the United States which represent the Norwegian-American experience.
- Books and periodicals that were brought by or read by Norwegian immigrants.
- Books and periodicals that were printed in Norwegian and published in the U.S.
- Books and periodicals that relate directly to subjects represented by Vesterheim’s object collection, i.e. folk art, Norwegian-American history.
- Photographs related to Norwegian-American history and experience.
- Archival material related directly to the history and operation of Vesterheim.
- Archival material related directly to artifacts in Vesterheim’s collection.
For more information, contact Vesterheim Registrar Julie Hale at email@example.com.