Seniors (65+): $7.00
Children (7-18): $2.00
Group Tour Rates
These group rates are available for groups of 15 or more. Advanced reservations made less than a week in advance are subject to an additional $1 per person fee.
Make Group Tour Reservations
Vesterheim Welcomes Special Groups and Bus Tours!
We offer guided tours of the museum’s Main Building, the Open Air Division, or both. The standard tour for each lasts approximately 60-75 minutes, or we can create a personalized tour program that fits your schedule. We also can arrange a themed tour around a topic like immigration, woodcarving, rosemaling, textiles, or fine art, or a behind-the-scenes tour of one of our state-of-the-art collection storage facilities. Just ask!
Special group tours include general admission to the museum for the entire day. The museum’s Main Building has four floors to explore, including three exhibition galleries that change regularly. Vesterheim also has an Open Air Division located behind the museum’s Main Building. This collection of 12 historic buildings is open from May 1 to October 31.
Bus Parking and Additional Info
For your convenience, disembark at the Bruening Visitor Center on the corner of Water and Mechanic Streets. Motorcoach parking is located on Mill Street between Water Street and Heivly Street.
1 – Main Building
2 – Westby-Torgerson Education Center Museum Store, Bruening Visitor Center, Library, Classrooms
3 – Haugan House
4 – Egge-Koren House
5 – Valdres House
6 – Norsvin Mill
7 – Erikson-Hansen Stabbur
8 – Rovang Parochial Schoolhouse
9 – Bethania Lutheran Church
10 – Norris Miller Stovewood House
11 – Mikkelson-Skree Blacksmith Shop
12 – Painter-Bernatz Mill
13 – Wickney House
14 – Tasa Drying Shed
15 – Bauder-Landsgard Collections Study Center
16 – Amdal-Odland Heritage Center Administrative Offices
17 – Decorah Chamber of Commerce and Winneshiek County Visitors Center
What You Should Know Before You Visit
- Objects in the museum may not be touched unless otherwise noted by signs or by the guide. This is to protect the objects from dirt and damage.
- Food, drink, gum, and candy are not allowed in the museum’s Main Building or Open Air Division buildings.
- There are single restrooms with changing tables located on the first, second, and third floors of the museum’s Main Building. Multi-stall restrooms with changing tables are located in the museum’s Education Center. If your group will need a restroom break upon arrival, please let the museum know when you make the reservation for your visit so that we can accommodate this into the schedule.
- All floors of the museum’s Main Building and Education Center are accessible by elevator and are climate-controlled.
- Buildings in the Open Air Division are accessible by steps and are not climate-controlled.
- Photographs and video may be taken without flash or floodlights.
- There are several areas that are ideal for bus parking, including alongside the Main Building on Mill Street and beside the Education Center on Mechanic Street. Bus drivers are always welcome to join the group for no charge.
- Lunches or snacks may be eaten in the Open Air Division if prior arrangements have been made. The museum may also be able to provide an indoor space for eating. Please inquire.
- Guest wifi access is available in the Main Building and Westby-Torgerson Education Center.
- Vesterheim’s Museum Store is located in the Education Center. If your group would like to visit the store, please let the museum know when you make the reservation for your group visit, so that we can accommodate this into the schedule.