Seniors (65+): $8.00
Children (7-18): $2.00
Group Tour Rates
These group rates are available for groups of 15 or more. Advanced reservations made less than a week in advance are subject to an additional $1 per person fee.
Make Group Tour Reservations
Vesterheim Special Groups and Bus Tours
Vesterheim offers guided tours of the museum’s Main Building, Heritage Park, or both. The standard tour for each lasts approximately 60-75 minutes. The museum’s Main Building has four floors to explore, including three exhibition galleries that change regularly. Heritage Park, located behind the museum’s Main Building, is a collection of 12 historic buildings. It is open from May 1 to October 31 and is a wonderful outdoor tour option.
Also, Vesterheim can create a personalized tour program that fits your schedule. You can arrange a themed tour around a topic like immigration, woodcarving, rosemaling, textiles, or fine art, or a behind-the-scenes tour of one of our state-of-the-art collection storage facilities. Just ask!
Special group tours include general admission to the museum for the entire day.
You can find Vesterheim’s updated COVIV protocols here
If a tour group requires an indoor tour or activity longer than 90 minutes, the Folk Art School COVID protocol here will be followed.
Bus Parking and Additional Info
1 Main Building
2 Vesterheim Commons
3 Westby-Torgerson Education Center, Museum Store, Bruening Welcome Center, Classrooms
4 Egge-Koren House
5 Valdres House
6 Norsvin Mill
7 Erikson-Hansen Stabbur
8 Rovang Parochial Schoolhouse
9 Bethania Lutheran Church
10 Norris Miller Stovewood House
11 Mikkelson-Skree Blacksmith Shop
12 Painter-Bernatz Mill
13 Wickney House
14 Tasa Drying Shed
15 Haugan House
16 Amdal-Odland Heritage Center Administrative Offices
17 Decorah Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center
18 Bauder-Landsgard Collection Study Center
19 Administrative Offices
20 Timberframe Plaza
21 Commons Plaza
23 Restauration Plaza
What You Should Know Before You Visit
- Objects in the museum may not be touched unless otherwise noted by signs or by the guide. This is to protect the objects from dirt and damage.
- Food, drink, gum, and candy are not allowed in the museum’s Main Building or Heritage Park buildings.
- There are single restrooms with changing tables located on the first, second, and third floors of the museum’s Main Building. Multi-stall restrooms with changing tables are located in the museum’s Education Center. If your group will need a restroom break upon arrival, please let the museum know when you make the reservation for your visit so that we can accommodate this into the schedule.
- All floors of the museum’s Main Building and Education Center are accessible by elevator and are climate-controlled.
- Buildings in the Heritage Park are accessible by steps and are not climate-controlled.
- Photographs and video may be taken without flash or floodlights.
- There are several areas that are ideal for bus parking, including alongside the Main Building on Mill Street and beside the Education Center on Mechanic Street. Bus drivers are always welcome to join the group for no charge.
- Lunches or snacks may be eaten in the Heritage Park if prior arrangements have been made. The museum may also be able to provide an indoor space for eating. Please inquire.
- Guest wifi access is available in the Main Building and Westby-Torgerson Education Center.
- Vesterheim’s Museum Store is located in the Education Center. If your group would like to visit the store, please let the museum know when you make the reservation for your group visit, so that we can accommodate this into the schedule.