We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization under the regulations of the Internal Revenue Service. All contributions are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law.
Make a Gift Now
Welcome to our Community
Vesterheim is first and foremost, a community. Many among us choose to support our community with financial gifts. There are lots of ways to get involved. Choose from the many options below, or contact Diane Brondyke, Development Director at email@example.com to talk about your ideas.
Participate in a Vesterheim event
EVENTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY
Vesterheim thanks all of the people who have hosted so many fantastic Vesterheim events around the country! From dinners and dances for hundreds of guests to dessert for small groups in a private backyard, those who appreciate Norwegian art and heritage come together to enjoy each other’s company and share their enthusiasm for Vesterheim.
Donate an artifact
ITEMS DONATED FOR MUSEUM USE
Vesterheim accepts donated objects for use on the museum campus or for fundraising purposes. Examples of museum use items include tools and supplies to help in museum up-keep. Examples of fundraising items include artwork for raffles, and items and services for auctions. To discuss your gift, contact Nicholas Klein at 563-382-9681, ext. 109, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ITEMS DONATED TO VESTERHEIM’S COLLECTION
Every year, new objects, books, or archival materials are added to the collection through the generosity of individuals and organizations. These donations help Vesterheim fulfill its mission of sharing the Norwegian-American experience.
Honoring our Donors
We consider our donors partners in our shared goals.
Here are ways we honor that relationship:
Valhalla Society, honoring those individuals who include Vesterheim in their estate plans
Kronneklubben, honoring those individuals whose cumulative giving reaches $10,000 or more.
Annual Reports keep our investors informed about how we’ve spent their donor dollars, and give us an opportunity to say thank you to all who makes Vesterheim’s mission possible.
Vesterheim's Annual Fund
Vesterheim’s Annual Fund provides the infrastructure to allow us to serve our four most fundamental values, that we be welcoming, good stewards, authentic, and have integrity in everything we do. Additionally, Annual Fund covers critical behind-the-scenes expenses. Here are just a few annual fund projects we worked on this year:
- Reshingling the steeple of Bethania church
- Paint for Dayton House and the façade of the Cary building
- Annual whitewashing of historic structures
- Newly created artifact labels in textiles exhibition
- Repairs to the roof of the Jacobson farm
- After school programs for woodworking and textiles
- Equipment purchases for staff and volunteers, like a laptop for the membership team to use to help at events
- Humidity monitors in the galleries and collections storage areas
- Work/study students and seasonal interns to support facilities
upkeep, membership renewals, and exhibition construction
- Administrative costs to loan objects to 26 institutions nationally
Volunteer at Vesterheim
Volunteers of all ages and abilities are involved at Vesterheim, and new volunteers are always welcome. There are great opportunities for people from many walks of life. You may be able to offer a specific skill or talent, but often, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn are the only requirements for a volunteer task!
Easy ways to make your donation go further
- Compass Club, our monthly giving program that helps us plan our year, by providing a reliable source of monthly income. You may start your monthly giving plan with as little as $10/month. Just check the box on our giving form and you’ll be in the club!
- Employer Matching Programs contribute almost $5 million to charities annually, making it possible for all donations to do more good work.
- We are honored to be a valued charity partner with Thrivent Financial. Check out their website here. Are you a Thrivent or Thrivent Financial member? Thrivent Choice or Thrivent Simply Giving will give direct support to Vesterheim that costs you nothing.
- Vesterheim’s Endowed Funds illustrate how private contributions make a difference to our long-range vision for serving future generations. These funds exist in perpetuity, ensuring that your favorite programs are always supported. Don’t see your favorite program represented in our existing funds? Endowed funds can be named to honor your loved ones, and established with gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Iowa residents who make a donation to the Vesterheim Fund at the Iowa Community Foundation may be eligible for an additional 25% tax credit. Find out more here!
Remembering Vesterheim in your will makes the museum more sustainable, and can help you minimize your estate tax impact.
In 2000, Vesterheim launched Kroneklubben or “Crown Club” for recognizing our most generous and devoted donors. This special recognition acknowledges accumulated lifetime gifts and is essential for helping us achieve our mission. Membership in Kroneklubben is a high honor starting at $10,000 up to $29,999 for the pewter level, followed by bronze at $30,000-99,999, next is silver with a range from $100,000-499,999, then gold at $500,000-999,000, and ultimately platinum for lifetime gifts of $1,000,000 and more.
Vesterheim chose this bridal crown, drawn and interpreted by Norwegian-American artist Elisabeth Maurland, to be a symbol for its Kroneklubben. For us too, the crown represents the ties that bind us as a community, linking us to each other and to those that come before and after us. Your gifts to Vesterheim enable the museum to sustain this mission, to share a cultural legacy, for years to come.