The Chicago Area Friends of Vesterheim are pleased to invite you to The Nordic Marketplace & Luncheon, a benefit for Vesterheim!
- This event has passed.
Nordic Luncheon and Marketplace – Chicago
October 28, 2017 @ 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Nordic Luncheon and Marketplace - Chicago
Saturday, October 28, 2017 | 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Schedule of Events
9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Come to do early Christmas shopping at our Marketplace, featuring Norwegian and other Scandinavian-inspired wares. Visit all of the vendors and enter to win door prizes. See a list of vendors below.
Luncheon and Program
Rocks and Hard Places: Emigration through the Lens of Knud Knudsen
Zach Row-Heyveld, Vesterheim’s Exhibitions Manager
Why do some people leave their homes in search of a better life? Explore the way a new exhibit at Vesterheim uses Knud Knudsen’s stunning black and white photography to wrestle with that question. Learn about some of the economic, social, and environmental factors that led to above-average rates of emigration from Knudsen’s hometown, the village of Tokheim on the Sørfjord.
Menu – Lemon Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce, Duchess Potato, and Roasted Root Vegetables OR vegetarian Pasta Primavera. Both are served with House Salad, Assorted Dinner Rolls, a Scandinavian Dessert Plate, and Coffee. The children’s option is Chicken Fingers, French Fries, and a Cookie.
The cost is $60 for members, $70 for non-members, and $20 for children 12 and under. Advance reservations only. Please RSVP by October 20, 2017. For more information or to register, contact Karla Brown at 563-382-9681, ext. 107, or email@example.com.
• Vesterheim Museum Store—Fabulous Scandinavian accessories and gifts
• Country Gallery Antiques—Scandinavian jewelry, Norwegian Hardanger, textiles, and antiques
• Ellickson Jewelry—Stylishly handmade necklaces, bracelets, and rings
• Friends of the Viking Ship—Photos and information about the historic 1893 ship
• Jule-Hus—Gift items from Norway: linens, mugs, hand-made felted nisser, and more
• LivingStone Jewelry Studio—Sterling silver and precious stone jewelry
• Norwegian Termite—woodcarving
• Steller Handcrafted Goods—Mittens, hats, and purses made from repurposed Nordic sweaters
• Swedish Passport Company—Scandinavian products featuring garments and textiles, hand-embroidered and printed by the owners
• Uhl-Tide Creations—Must-see woodland and Victorian Santas, and felted rosemaling designs on scarves, purses, and wearable art